8 Ways Industrial Manufacturers Are Responding to the Cybersecurity Challenge
Lately I have been talking with our partner companies about how they are managing manufacturing cybersecurity threats. In the previous post in this cybersecurity series, we looked the rising threat of cyberattacks to manufacturers. Today, we look at ways to combat that threat.
1. Clarify the roles and responsibilities. Foster teamwork between IT and OT teams to better combat cybersecurity threats.
2. Take inventory of all connected devices. Take note of the importance of each device.
3. Segment your network to reduce risk. Make changes that reduce risk, especially to legacy systems, while still allowing IT and OT to work together.
4. Use multiple site file storage. Only maintaining local file storage can leave a manufacturing facility more vulnerable to ransomware threats.
5. Use anti-virus software and keep it updated! Outdated security software opens portals for attack into your network.
6. Educate and drill employees on cybersecurity threats to inoculate them against tricks used by cyber criminals. Human psychology and manipulation remain the top tool of cybersecurity attackers.
7. Create a customized cybersecurity plan in consultation with security experts. No one can be an expert at everything, and cybersecurity is an area where manufacturers are turning to consultants for help.
8. Consider internal threats. Nearly 30% of attacks come from employees or others with company credentials.
I hope these ideas prove helpful! Let us know how your company is managing manufacturing cybersecurity threats. Get in touch on Twitter or LinkedIn. Or contact us to start a conversation.
With over two decades of experience, Parin leads an expert demand-generation agency, StratMg, that helps industrial manufacturing clients achieve unambiguous and quantified organic sales growth across the US, EMEA & APAC.
Parin has built & positioned StratMg to be a value-added marketing services provider that strives to create a culture of quantified sales-driven marketing initiatives leading to sustained business growth through channel management, diversification, new customer acquisition and retention strategies and tactical execution.